Sunday 24 June 2012

Vacation Day in SLC

Michael and I decided to do a little sightseeing in Salt Lake City on Saturday. We've been wanting to do this for a while, and check! Another thing off our bucket list. Overall, it was a fun-filled day of church and Utah history. First attraction site? Capitol Hill.

#1 Capitol Building


Michael didn't know I was taking this picture, but I think it's super "fierce." Top model status.


Michael's BFF - Abe Lincoln




Michael was getting pretty fancy with that camera. He calls this one "Industry."


Spirituality runs in the family!


#2 Lion House

A quick tour of the Lion House. Little fact for ya, did you know that Brigham Young was named the "Lion of the Lord?" Or, did you know that he had family home evening every night at 6:30 pm. Yep. He rang his own doorbell to get all the kids together for family prayer and discussion, and he even invited the local dignitaries if they were currently with him for a government meeting of sorts. FHE is hard enough in a family of regular size. Can you imagine FHE every night with a family his size?

#3 Church History Museum

The COOLEST part of the trip in my opinion was finding this is in the Church History Museum. I've always heard the story that my great, great.... grandpa Carter was the first man to plow a half acre of land in Utah, but I didn't know it was official. William Carter was acknowledged by Brigham Young himself and earned a trophy for it!!


Read for yourself!


You Go, Gramps! 

And might I add, thanks for passing down the good looks :) I think I see a family resemblance?


#4 Church Library

We looked up some more family history stuff and heard some awesome stories as written in church members' journals.

#5 Red Iguana

To top it off, we had us some Mexican delicacies at Red Iguana. Not exactly a Utah historical site, but it definitely is a big name among the SLC locals. Their speciality? Holy "Mole." Michael, ready to chow down.



Funnest, cheapest vacation day ever! I love Salt Lake City, and I'm so grateful to be a Mormon. I'm grateful to look up to our incredible pioneers who sacrificed so much and we so incredibly steadfast. 

In our lovely, Deseret...

No comments:

Post a Comment