Monday 21 May 2012

Besto Pesto

My favorite summer dish includes..

my least favorite vegetable
my most favorite kitchen appliance
and my first favorite food group - carbohydrates

Spinach Pine Nut Pesto (is the besto) - by Giadda De'Laurentis

2 cups of tightly packed spinach (least favorite vegetable? "present.")
1-2 tsp lemon zest
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 c. toasted pine nuts (toasted in 400 degree oven)
1/3 c. fresh shredded parmesan cheese
1/2 t. black pepper
1/2 t. salt
Stream 1/3 c. olive oil as the food processor does it's thang
Add 1 box of cooked pasta, some feta and pine nuts as extra garnish, and enjoy.

What I love about this pesto is that spinach is a healthy and more affordable choice than basil, and it comes out with just as much flavor! Plus, I consider myself pretty outstanding when I am sneaking a nasty vegetable like spinach past my very conscientious taste buds. I'm going to make a great mom if I can even trick myself into eating my least favorite food. Just saying.



And then, you take it out for a picnic in the park across the street, bring your best friend and chomp down among the trees. It tastes even better that way!




No comments:

Post a Comment